IDEAL USES: BOTRYSIZED OR MOLDY GRAPE MUSTS.OXIDATIVE PROTECTION.
- The main philosophy of the Microcel product is that modern winemaking usually prefers a preventive approach instead of a curative one.
- Using Microcel winemakers stops oxidation at its onset.
- Microcel is an active-absorbent clarifier for musts and wines.It is composed of potassium caseinate, active fibers, and micronized pharmaceutical bentonite.
- During fermentation, Microcel absorbs the proanthocyanidins and monomeric catechins, which cause oxidation in wines.
- The color of treated wines becomes more appealing with greenish hues in white wines or more defined pink hues in the case of rose’ wines.
- Musts treated with Microcel produce more complex wines, which retain their individual characteristics longer.
Effects of different Microcel components
- Using potassium caseinate during fermentation results in a lower level of oxidable polyphenols (procyanidins and catechins), lower dissolved oxygen (DO) and therefore a finished wine that is going to be more resistant to oxygen. Potassium caseinate also fines for copper as well as iron (up to 50% of the initial content).
- The Bentonite used in Microcel is an extremely fine earth product selected to be very high in Na+. Having bentonite in the fermenting must is going to result in several advantages:
- Reduces the amount of bentonite required for protein stabilization
- Absorbs laccases and triosynases which oxidize polyphenols
- Absorbs fungicides
- Activated Celluloses improve fermentation kinetics by absorbing toxins and long chain fatty acids that inhibit the yeast during fermentation.
- Also, the cellulose is going to work as a “boat” for the yeast cells so they can stay well suspended in the media.
- This is crucial especially in cold fermentation, when the activity is quite slow and there is little CO2.
- In these conditions yeast usually tend to precipitate down and bacteria take over in the upper part of the tank causing VA production.
DOSAGE RATE & USAGE INSTRUCTIONS
- Dissolve the dose of Microcel in about 5-10 parts of cold water, wait approx 15 minutes, add to mass quickly and with mixing.